Friday, November 28, 2008

Preparing to Quilt

I took apart my niece's wall hanging and sewed it together straight (or at least straighter!). Then I placed it on some thin cotton quilt batting with at least 3"-4" of batting extending beyond the edge of the quilt top.



Then I cut the batting so that there is a even 3"-4" border of the batting around the quilt top.



Next I placed it on the fabric I want to use for my backing with the backing fabric extending at least an inch beyond the edge of the batting. The backing fabric is face up. I like to select the same fabric for the backing and the stripping.



Then I baste the three layers of the quilt top, batting, and backing fabric, together using contrasting thread. I baste it to stabilize it for quilting.


Here is a closer view of the basting stitches...



...and the back of the "quilt sandwich".

No comments: